Skip to main content

Manchester Gold

Or, how I accidentally became a member of a research group.

Back in Spring, I signed up for the Manchester Gold Mentoring which is there for students to improve their CVs.

I was assigned Samuel Purkiss as a mentor who is a MPhil student in Reinmar Hager's lab and he offered me and the other mentee (Marco) the opportunity to gain some lab experience by helping him with the work that he was doing with Mhd.Shadi Khudr (the lab's postdoc who designed the experiments) on aphids and daphnia.

Initially, I was a bit reluctant to be in the building long or to do work on the group's computers but after some time I got used to it but throughout the summer I grew more comfortable and by July, I started coming in every day, as early as possible. I also have my own little desk space now.  It has a folder where I collect data and papers, a book about Epigenetics that I bought but wanted to leave available to everyone. some blank paper and other stationary and most importantly the coffee cup that my parents sent me for my 19th birthday. Yes, a coffee cup is one of my most cherished possessions. That's research for you. Also, I have my own lab coat in the laboratory upstairs.

It is incredible fun. For the Daphnia, for example, we wrote little inspirational messages on their beakers and we did some great experiments that you can read about when our papers come out one day.

My favourite part though is the data analysis and the writing. Yes, I am an author of fiction but academic writing will always be my favourite.

Over time, it kind of got established that I worked primarily on the Daphnia though that might change in the future. Yes, I say future. I don't want this to only be a summer experience so I will continue to volunteer whenever I find the time.

Not every thing is perfect but that wasn't to be expected. Since research results need to be new, there are a lot of things you aren't allowed to talk about. For example, I spent 150 h sitting between Harry and Mariana but I was not allowed to tell them what I worked on, I understand why though. It also makes coffee breaks a bit confusing.


Apropos coffee: The coffee machine that we bought and share with the other people of our little write-up area is a blessing and a curse at once. One one hand, I get to spend my coffee break with amazing people (shout-out to the entire group and Will, Miguel and Richie here) but on the other hand, I consume about 1l of coffee a day.


All in all, I had the best summer and I am grateful for the experience. Below. a proof that we occasionally leave Michael Smith building:

Figure 1: About half of the group (plus Miguel who's in the same write-up area as we are) after the summer lunch at the Christies. taken from the group's website (from left to right: Miguel Gomez, Mariana Villalba de la Pena, Harry Potter, Samuel Purkiss, Marco Giorda, Reinmar Hager and me) 

Fun fact: I calculated how much time I actually spent in Michael Smith: 30h a week (excluding all the times we went to Morrison's to get some lunch).

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The TAS2R38 Gene, PCR, Enzyme Restriction, Gel Electrophoresis, and Scientific Bias

An Introduction In this post, I'm going to talk about an experiment we performed to examine alleles of the TAS2R38 gene.  I also want to talk about the results I expected, why I expected them, and why this bias was incorrect.  For that, I need to begin by talking about race. On a genetic level, race doesn't exist, or, at least, it's very, very different to how it works on a social level.  People from Africa are the most racially diverse, and differ from each other more than, say, someone from England and someone from India do, on a genetic level.  That's due to the founder effect; only a small portion of the population of Africa left to populate the rest of the world, representing only a tiny fraction of humanity's genome.  The DNA of human beings, in general, is really not all that different.  For more info, take a look at  A Brief History of Everyone Who Ever Lived  by Adam Rutherford . And yet, even knowing that, it made me happy that the author is the s

Terry Pratchett, Alzheimers, and the Smoking Gnu

Who was Terry Pratchett? Sir Terry Pratchett died two years ago today , at the age of sixty-six.  He had been diagnosed with early-onset Alzheimer's disease eight years before and campaigned for the right to assisted suicide and Alzheimer's awareness.   Over £40,000 was raised for The Research Institute for the Care of Older People following the announcement of his death.    He was Britain's best-selling author, only temporarily eclipsed by JK Rowling. "The space between the young readers eyeballs and the printed page is a holy place and officialdom should trample all over it at their peril." Sir Pterry's - and I'll explain that nickname in a moment - first novel was The Carpet People , published in 1971, when he was 23.  The first of his novels that I read was Only You Can Save Mankind , when I was ten-years-old, in 1999.  A year or two later I read the first Discworld novel, The Colour of Magic , and Jingo , the latter purely because it was

The Mars Analogue Missions

Notes on a talk delivered by Dr Rochelle Velho, Academic Clinical Fellow , with the  UK Space Environments Association , at Final Frontiers in Healthcare, organised by  ReThinkX  at Citylabs, Manchester, 16th February 2017.   Welcome back! This week, we're going to talk about Dr Rochelle Velho and her Mars Analogue missions. via GIPHY Tele-Medicine  Tele-medicine is the practice of viewing vital signs, and, if necessary, giving advice and information based on those signs, from a distance.  It's what you need to do in space; often, astronauts are working independently, very far away from help, in dangerous conditions. This also has applications on earth, both in working with patients in dangerous situations, and simply in the fact that studying bodies in space can allow us to better understand patients on earth. An important question for space travel is...should a doctor go along?  Astronauts are some of the strongest, smartest people on the planet, b